GFWC Contemporary Women of North County Celebrate 80 Years of Service and Socials
Members of GFWC Contemporary Women of North County (CWONC) recently celebrated the organization’s 80th anniversary. CWONC is a member of General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC). CWONC in its current incarnation was formed in 1999 through a combination of three local Junior Women’s clubs, based in San Marcos, Escondido, and Vista. The Escondido club was founded as a social organization in 1935. The club began assisting the Red Cross, military hospitals, and families in need during World War II, and members continued pursuing philanthropic goals after the end of the war.
The Vista Junior Women’s Club, though originally chartered in 1929, left the Federation in 1942 due to wartime transportation difficulties. The club rejoined the Federation in 1945 and from there delved into service projects ranging from funding polio shots for local children to helping support the new Moonlight Theatre.
The San Marcos Junior Women’s Club was established in 1958 – like its Escondido counterpart, the club’s initial purpose was as a social group. Club members soon expanded their reach to work in local schools. They were instrumental in forming a school for children with developmental disabilities in Vista and funding playground equipment for Bradley Park in San Marcos.
The San Marcos Junior Women’s Club joined with the Escondido Junior Women’s Club in 1995, and the Vista Junior Women’s Club joined the San Marcos/Escondido Juniors in 1999 to form the Contemporary Women of North County. Today the club is united in its members’ desires to make a difference throughout the region.
Learn more at www.cwonc.org.