Vista Historical Society’s Hall of Fame
Five New Inductees Honored for Their Contributions
The Vista Historical Society created the Vista Hall of Fame over 20 years ago as part of Vista Heritage Week, with the intent to “honor significant people and their achievements that have enriched Vista’s vibrant history.” Recently the local nonprofit organization added five new members to the Hall of Fame, all of whom will be officially inducted on May 16. The inductees include Abraham Shelhoup, Charlotte Morgan, Dale E. Wood, Harold H. Yackey, and James W. Sutton.
Abraham Shelhoup, known to Vistans as “Abe,” came with his father to Vista in 1928 and purchased a grocery store and butcher shop. In 1941, Abe opened his well-known department store on East Vista Way which is now Main Street. In 1948, he built the AVO Theatre which is still enjoyed by the community today. Charlotte Morgan was the president of the Vista Garden Club for two terms as well as a member of the Woman’s Club of Vista and the Chamber of Commerce, among many other organizations. Dale E. Wood came to Vista in 1926 and later opened his own real estate business. He was a member of the Vista Irrigation District Board of Directors from 1954 to 1973, a charter member of the Vista Rotary Club, a member of Royal Arch Masons of California, and a member of the American Legion. Harold H. Yackey was appointed as engineer/manager of the Vista Irrigation District (VID) in 1946 and was instrumental in improving the state of the VID by solving several water issues as the water district emerged from agricultural irrigation to an urban water system. James W. Sutton served on the VID board of directors for 12 years. He was the president of the board when the Vista Irrigation District purchased Lake Henshaw in 1946. He championed the purchase of the lake, which from that point on secured a water supply for the growing community of Vista. For more information about the Vista Historical Society or the Vista Hall of Fame visit www.vistahistoricalsociety.com.